Promoting a Healthy School Environment
It is our goal to create a healthy school for our students and staff. Eating well and exercising will help set up our children for a successful future and long, healthy lives. Use these links to learn more about ways to encourage student health and wellness:
In the event of an emergency or for an immediate need, please call 911 or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255.
- Hays HopeLine
- Hays CISD Guidance and Counseling Resources
- Hays CISD Social and Emotional Learning Webpage
- Covid-19 Mental Health Resources (TEA)
- Support Groups from the National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Wonders & Worries - support for children and teens whose parents have serious illness
We want our students to be active throughout the day and to learn the importance of physical activity in their lives as well as learn to love being active! We want our staff to serve as role models for our students.
Childhood obesity is an issue, but the push for healthy kids goes beyond that. Studies show healthy and active children learn better! Good nutrition and exercise is linked to better behavior and academic success, and we all want that for our children. Need some ideas for how to get your family MOVING - click here or check out the links below?
As children grow, they need plenty of healthy foods to fuel their bodies and minds. It is important that children get a healthy breakfast every day and eat healthy meals and snacks throughout the day while at school and at home.
Birthday parties and classroom celebrations are fun and exciting for students! We want our students to feel special on their birthdays and to come together to celebrate holidays. We realize food is a common way for people to celebrate. We would like to encourage these celebrations to occur in a fun and healthy way that reinforces all the healthy habits students are learning at school.
But it’s just a cupcake!
Most school celebrations include cupcakes, cookies, candy, pizza. So, what’s the harm? There is nothing wrong with an occasional treat, but unhealthy choices have become the norm rather than the exception. Students are constantly exposed to high-fat, high-sugar, low-nutrient choices during classroom parties, fundraisers, school stores, etc. During school, we want to send a consistent message about health and nutrition while promoting a healthy school environment.
Another goal we have as a district is to protect our students with food allergies. When parents send in food, it’s difficult to ensure the safety of the students with food allergies since we may not know what is in the item. Non-food celebrations are the best way to ensure the safety of our students with food allergies, or using food items from our food service department.
Our staff works hard to teach our students the importance of eating healthy and being active.
- Healthy Celebration Ideas
- Dance Party
- Reading a child’s favorite book
- Extra recess or “free choice” activity at the end of the day
- Child can bring in a t-shirt for classmates to sign
- Extra library time
- Art project for the class. Parents can bring the supplies instead of food!
- Goodie bags filled with stickers, pencils, crayons, etc.
- Scavenger hunt in the classroom, outside or around the school
- Nature walk around the school
- Healthy Classroom Snack Ideas
- Fruit cups or Fruit Kabobs
- Trail Mix (pretzels, fried fruit, low-sugar cereals, etc… Avoid nuts please)
- String cheese
- Low-fat yogurt
- Cut up vegetables and low-fat dip
- Low-fat popcorn
- Graham crackers
- 100% fruit juice
Short on time?
Our Child Nutrition department has a menu of options available for parents to order healthy options for classroom celebrations. The items are prepared and delivered to your child’s classroom at the appropriate time. Just call or order online.
- Fun Run
- Penny Wars
- Car Wash
Tracks and playgrounds at elementary and middle schools are open for the public to use when school is not in session!
- Girl Talk/Boy Talk
- MEND Program http://www.austinymca.org/programs/mend-mind-exercise-nutrition-do-it