Student Transfers

  • student transfer icon Transferring a child from his or her home campus to another is a serious consideration and involves risk that the student's eligibility to participate in sports or other UIL activities will be adversely affected and the risk the transfer may be revoked (even through no fault of your own) before a child completes all grades at a campus. Additionally, transfers are granted to individual students, meaning siblings may not all receive a transfer to the same campus. Please carefully read all of the information on this page if you are considering a student transfer request.  

2018-2019 Transfer Request Period

  • The window to request a 2018-2019 transfer to the FES Fine Arts Focus Campus CLOSED August 10, 2018

    The window to request a general transfer for
    the 2018-2019 school year was:
    January 2, 2018 to January 31, 2018

Important Student Transfer Information

  • Hays CISD Schools are Equally Outstanding

    Hays CISD is fortunate to have 23 campuses where students experience equally robust academic, extra-curricular, and school-family experiences. A key strength of the district is its commitment to the neighborhood school concept. Students experience their formative years with friends who live close by and at campuses that share identical core programming and resources across the district – the most important of which is the exceptional teaching staff and campus administration.

    Students are Guaranteed a Home Campus Education

    Every student in Texas as a right to a free public education based on the home campus assigned to his or her address. Except for a few, rare situations outlined in the Texas Education Code, transfers are considered a privilege and not a right. In fact, most school districts are not able to accommodate student transfers for anyone.

    Available Student Transfer Slots Fill Up Quickly

    Hays CISD understands that sometimes a school transfer may be necessary or desired by families for a variety of reasons. For now, the district is still able to accommodate a limited number of transfers at some of its campuses. Because of class size requirements, and in some cases physical space at a campus, there are a set number of transfer seats available at campuses that have room.

    Schools Open for Transfers for 2018-2019

    (Note: Limited availability depending on grade level)

    Elementary Schools open:
    Hemphill Elementary School

    Middle Schools open:
    Barton Middle School
    Chapa Middle School
    Dahlstrom Middle School

    McCormick Middle School
    Simon Middle School
    Wallace Middle School

    High Schools open:

    Understanding the Transfer Process

    Transfer applications are only accepted between the first business day in January to the last business day in January. The earlier you submit your application, the better chance you have of receiving a new transfer because the available slots fill up quickly.  

    Students who have an approved transfer to a campus will automatically be granted a transfer for next year to the next grade level at that campus. Parents of students already on an approved transfer do not need to fill out a new transfer request unless: (1) The student lives or moves outside of the boundaries of the Hays CISD school district. (2) The student is changing schools, including going from elementary to middle school. (3) The student has not had his or her transfer revoked for disciplinary or attendance problems.

    There is a provision that allows the district to suspend automatic transfers if a campus exceeds its capacity.

    Please note that Pre-K students are not considered to be on transfers because their attendance is based on acceptance to a special program and assignment within that program based on space available. Pre-K students will go to their home campuses for Kindergarten unless they apply for a transfer to a campus other than their home campus, and the request is approved. 

    All parents will be notified if the district was able to accommodate their transfer requests by the first Friday in March.

    How Transfers Work at Hays CISD

    Employees with children in the district must apply electronically through the district’s internal communication system. Employees will receive an email with instructions.

    Community members/parents who need to request new transfers must turn in the general transfer request form in person to the front desk representative at the district’s Moe Johnson Central Administration Building, 21003 Interstate 35 in Kyle. The office opens at 7:30 a.m. and closes at 4:30 p.m. each business day. The forms will be time and date stamped upon their submission and parents will receive a receipt. Forms are only accepted beginning the first business day in January and ending the last business day in January.

    Unless a campus is closed because of capacity, the district accepts requests for elementary schools and middle schools within a student’s home campus high school feeder pattern. Board policy prohibits high school transfers.

    Important Things to Consider Before Deciding if a Transfer is Right for You

    (1) Transportation is not provided for transfer students.

    (2) Transfers will affect a student’s UIL participation eligibility.

    (3) The most common reason a transfer request cannot be accommodated is because the campus or requested grade-level is full.

    (4) Transfers are considered separately for each child, so in some cases a transfer may be approved for one sibling, but not for another.

    (5) Transfers can be denied or revoked if the child does not follow all district rules and policies or the student does not have or maintain acceptable attendance or disciplinary records.

    Who Doesn’t Need a General Transfer?

    • Students who move during the school year from one Hays CISD attendance zone to another (Intra-district Transfer):The students are allowed to complete the school year at their current campus without the necessity of a transfer. An application for a transfer will be necessary if the student wishes to remain at the current campus beyond the completion of the current school year.
    • Students who move outside of the Hays CISD school district boundary during a semester (Inter-district Transfer): The students are allowed to complete the current semester if they move outside of the district boundaries.
    • Elementary Special Program - Saturn V: Admission to the Saturn V program at the elementary school level constitutes an approved transfer and no separate transfer application is necessary. Upon completion of elementary school, students are assigned to their home middle school campuses since the STEM continuation course “Gateway to Technology” is offered at all middle schools.
    • Elementary Special Program - Two-Way Dual Language: Admission to the Two-Way Dual Language program at the elementary school level constitutes an approved transfer and no separate transfer application is necessary. Upon completion of elementary school, students are assigned to their home middle school campuses. Students who wish to continue language studies in 6th grade must apply for a middle school transfer if the course is not offered at their home middle school.
    • New Home Construction Contract: Direct campus enrollment. Campus will need a copy of the construction contract showing a closing date within 60 days of the start of school. Student will attend the campus assigned to the address of the new home.
    • In-District Grandparent After-School Care for Out-of-District Residents: Direct campus enrollment if applicable. 
    • Pre-K Enrollment and Campus Placement: Consult with district pre-K coordinator for admission and campus placement requirements and decisions.
    • School Safety or Bullying Transfer: This process is for victims of violent crime as defined in the Texas Education Code. Consult with the principal or district’s school performance executive directors. State law now allows a documented bully to be transferred rather than the victim.
    • In-District Minor Living Apart for Out-of-District Residents: Direct campus enrollment.
    • Transfer Under No Child Left Behind: Request is made through the home campus principal during the AYP transfer window, if applicable. The AYP transfer process (if applicable) is separate from the district’s open transfer request period in March. Parents of students who are eligible will receive notification. 
    • Public Education Grant Students: Consult the district’s school performance executive directors and policy FDAA (Legal).
    • Deployed Military Dependents: Direct campus enrollment. Policy FDD (Legal).
    • McKinney-Vento Act Homeless Students: Consult with the campus counselor or the district’s director of federal programs.

    Contact the Office of Student Services

    Please contact the Office of Student Services with questions about student transfers: or 512-268-2141 EXT 46048

    State and federal law, Hays CISD School Board policies, and Hays CISD administrative procedures govern the types of transfer requests and enrollment options that are allowed or restricted, as well as the official rules and requirements of each. The information provided on this page is for convenience and does not prevail if a conflict exists between it and the applicable laws, policies, and procedures. 

    Return to Student Services Home Page