Special Board Meeting Notice for March 30, 2020 at Noon
Notice is hereby given that a meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Hays Consolidated Independent School District will be held on March 30, 2020 beginning at 12:00 noon.
Due to health and safety concerns related to the COVID-19 coronavirus, and pursuant to Governor Abbott’s Temporary Suspension of the Open Meetings Laws issued on March 16, 2020, and consistent with new state and local mandates, this meeting will be conducted via videoconference or telephone call in accordance with the provisions of Sections 551.125 or 551.127 of the Texas Government Code that have not been suspended by order of the governor. A quorum of the Board of Trustees will not be physically present at one location and, for safety reasons, we will not be permitting in-person attendance by members of the public and/or staff participating.
Members of the public may access this meeting as follows: https://zoom.us/j/688241382.
If you wish to submit comments for review by the Board of Trustees, please complete and submit the form available here: www.hayscisd.net/boardcomment. Comments submitted and received by 11:15 AM on March 30, 2020, will be available to the Board for review and consideration prior to the meeting.
General Meeting Information
Regular Hays CISD Board of Trustee Meetings typically occur twice monthly with some exceptions because of the school holiday schedule. The first regular meeting of each month is the Board workshop meeting, at which members review the agenda and hear presentations regarding items that may be voted on at the Board business meeting, which is generally the second meeting of the month.
The Board may call special meetings at any time. Generally, these meetings occur in the spring for budget planning and in August for goal setting and team training.
Closed Session Meetings
The Board operates under the requirements of the Texas Open Meetings Act and legal and local policies. Some portions of the meetings are closed to the public in accordance with state law; however, any action the Board takes on an agenda item will occur in public.
Speaking at the School Board Meeting
Members of the public are invited to speak at most regular Board meetings. The public comments portion of the meeting begins after the Board reconvenes in open session, which is typically at 6:30 p.m. for regular meetings. Citizens who wish to sign up to speak during the public comments portion of the meeting must do so at the meeting before the meeting public portion of the meeting starts using the form provided at the meeting. Public comments are limited as outlined in Board policy BED (Legal) and BED (Local).
Additional public forum considerations:
- The Board allots approximately 30 minutes total at each meeting for comments from members of the public about school district operations.
- Each speaker will be strictly limited to five minutes, unless the time is decreased prior to the beginning of the public comments portion of the agenda in order to accommodate a greater number of speakers. NOTE: Speakers requiring a translator shall be allotted an additional, equal period of time for translating.
- Comments on posted agenda items will be taken first. Comments on non-agenda items shall be permitted only after all agenda-specific comments have been made and if time permits.
- A person may not defer his/her allotted time to another speaker.
- Delegations of more than five persons are encouraged to appoint one person to present their views before the Board.
- Speakers with specific complaints or comments about identifiable students, employees, or officials of the District, will be directed to the appropriate District administrator and/or the District’s formal complaint process.
- Speakers are discouraged from identifying others by name, including using the names of students other than their own. Speakers shall not use obscene or profane language and shall not yell or disrupt the meeting.
Translation Services Request
The district will make every effort to help you with translation services. If you are providing your own translator, you do not need to make any advance arrangements. If you need the district to help you obtain translation services, please complete this short request form. It must be completed 10 days prior to the Board meeting at which you wish to speak to ensure a translator is available. For additional assistance, or if you have any questions, please contact email@example.com, or call 512-268-2141 and ask for the superintendent's office.
School Board Recognition
The Board recognizes students, staff members, and outstanding community partners during its regular business meetings.