In May 2022, voters approved the construction of the district's 16th elementary school and the Academic Support Building (Central Office). Construction is underway on both of the buildings approved by voters in the 2022 Bond. In May 2023, voters also approved the construction of the district's 17th elementary school. The buildings need names and you are invited to help make the choice. The Board of Trustees has empaneled a school naming committee that will review suggestions and make a recommendation. Follow the process and make a suggestion on this webpage.
The buildings being considered for names are:
- Elementary School #16
- Elementary School #17
- Child Nutrition Building
- The Academic Support Building (Central Office)
Hays CISD Board Policy CW (Local) outlines the full criteria and process for naming facilities in the district.
New schools can be named for:
- An historical or geographical site or community;
- The subdivision in which the facility is located;
- A significant local, state, or national figure (living or deceased);
- A person who has made a significant contribution to education in the district (living or deceased);
- A local, state, or national historical event or place; or
- A person or people who have donated land or money for the property or facility.
Nominations can be accepted from:
- A resident or student of the district
- An entity that pays taxes into the district's general fund
- A non-profit entity that provides services or funding, direct or in-kind, to the district.
- Nominations must be in good taste, and not generally considered offensive, silly, or embarrassing.
- If the nominated name is an historical or geographic site, the name submitted must be accompanied by a written summary and/or a description of the significance of the name.
- If the nominated name is an individual, the name submitted must be accompanied by a written rationale and/or description of the named person's accomplishments. Each name nominated must fulfill the following criteria:
- The nominee shall be widely respected, regardless of any partisan affiliation.
- The nominee shall be a person of character who embodies a wholesome image that would be expected to stand the test of time.
- The nominee shall have a background of service to people of the District, Texas, or the United States.
Meetings & Notes:
December 11, 2023 - Board Business Meeting (Final Vote on Names)Posted by Tim Savoy on 11/6/2023
November 13, 2023 - Board Workshop Meeting (First Reading of Names)Posted by Tim Savoy on 11/5/2023
October 12, 2023 - Committee Deliberation MeetingPosted by Tim Savoy on 10/10/2023
September 22, 2023 - October 10, 2023 (at noon) Name Nomination PeriodPosted by Tim Savoy on 9/22/2023
September 21, 2023 - Committee Orientation Meeting/Process LaunchPosted by Tim Savoy on 9/18/2023
July 24, 2023 School Board MeetingPosted by Tim Savoy on 7/24/2023