Buda Elementary School History

  • The first building on the site where Buda Elementary now stands, was built in 1885. It was a two-story wood building. In 1908, a larger school was needed, so the building was sold and moved across the railroad tracks. A new two-story building was built on the site, with the first graduating class of six students receiving their diploma in 1910.

    In the early 1900's, ladies of the community picked cotton to buy the land at the bottom of the hill for a football field. This field, known as Trimble Field, served as Buda's football field until the schools consolidated. The lower campus was built in 1981.

    In January of 1928, the Buda High School building burned. A new school was built on the site, preserving the arch and the inside walls of the old school.

    In 1967, Kyle, Buda, and Wimberley consolidated their schools with one high school, and Buda High School became Buda Elementary.

    Taken from People and Places In and Around Historic Buda by Mary Giberson and Barbara Younts, Press Corps Inc, Buda, Texas, 2003.

    Currently Buda Elementary serves approximately 500 students in Pre-K through 5th. 

Buda School historical marker