Taylor Posey, BSN, RN
I am Nurse Taylor, the school nurse at Pfluger Elementary. This is my very first year as a school nurse and I am so excited to be a Pfluger Falcon. I have been a registered nurse for 4 years and my background has been working in surgery, specializing in cardiovascular surgery. I just moved to the Austin area with my furbaby, Maizy. I am looking forward to a great year and meeting all the health needs at our campus.
School nursing is a professional registered nursing specialty that involves identification, assessment, prevention, and intervention to remedy or modify students' health needs. The nurse's goal is to promote the optimum health of students and the students' abilities to achieve their individual educational goals.
Nurses monitor required immunizations, perform mandated health screenings, track communicable diseases, plan for emergencies and provide direct care to students. Please use the links to the left to learn more about the Hays CISD District Health Services.
We would like to assure you that medical information about your child is treated as confidential by the nurses and all school staff. We do not share information about your child with outside parties nor can we discuss health concerns of any other student with you.
News from the Nurse
- Medication reminder: If a student requires medication at school, please have a medical authorization completed and signed by parent and physician. Medication Authorizations can be found here:
Please do not send medications in the students’ pockets or belongings for them to take later. Medications must be kept in the nurse's office. Any medications at school needed longer than 10 days needs parent and physician authorization, must be unexpired, and must come with their original prescription label. Short term medication, for less than 10 days, need parent authorization and we must follow labeled instructions.
- All students with asthma, severe allergies, and those who have seizures will need an updated asthma action plan, seizure action plan, and/or allergy action plan from their physician for this school year. If your student has seizures, we will also need the seizure questionnaire form to be filled out. Please use the links below to find these forms:
- If you student requires enteral feedings please fill out the forms below and return to the school nurse:
- Health screenings are required by Texas state law. Each year we have school wide vision and hearing screenings for PreK, Kinder, 1st, 3rd, 5th as well as students that need a screen for other reasons. We also screen for Acanthosis Nigricans in 1st, 3rd, and 5th grade. In the fall, we screen for Scoliosis in 5th grade girls. Please email me if you have questions or if your child loses/breaks their glasses and you need help getting a new exam/pair.
- If you need medical insurance, food, transportation assistance please check out https://www.findhelp.org/
- Students with no insurance but needing medical care can be seen by Lirios Pediatrics on South congress in Austin. Follow the link for more information https://www.liriospediatrics.org/
- Use the links to the left for any further information. IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- TOILETING: I have limited clothes available and sometimes run out. Please leave a complete change of clothes in your childs backpack and replace the items as needed. I ask that you wash and return the clothes that the school provides for your child - keep the underwear.
Taylor Posey, RN
Pfluger Elementary School