For students to be successful at Live Oak Academy they must attend school regularly, make adequate academic progress, and maintain acceptable behavior. Live Oak Academy has a limited capacity for students. If a student does not meet academic, attendance, or discipline expectations, the student review committee will meet to discuss the student’s enrollment at Live Oak Academy. Parents will be requested to attend the student review committee meetings.
LOA Requirements: Success at Live Oak Academy depends upon promptness and regular attendance. Regular school attendance is essential for a student to make the most of his or her education—to benefit from teacher‐led and school activities, to build each day’s learning on the previous day’s, and to grow as an individual. Absences from class may result in serious disruption of a student’s mastery of the instructional materials; therefore, the student and parent should make every effort to avoid unnecessary absences.
When a student must be absent from school, the student/parent/guardian/spouse should notify school personnel prior to the absence; call the school on the day of the absence at 512-268-8462, or email LOA.Attendance@hayscisd.net.
- Students may not have unexcused absences more than 4 days or parts of days each 9 weeks. Students absent more than 4 days or parts of days may be asked to return to their home campus.
- In order to maintain a balanced enrollment at Live Oak Academy, students that follow a short school day schedule are assigned to either a schedule with an early release or a late start. Students may not arbitrarily decide which schedule they follow. All schedule changes require prior approval from the counselor and principal.
- Occasionally a regular school day will include field trips. Students who are scheduled to attend field trips and choose not to will be marked absent. SCHOOL ATTENDANCE IS THE STUDENT’S FIRST PRIORITY. Working students may request a memo from the office to present to their employer explaining why they need time off from work to attend the field trip.
- The principal and teachers meet each week to review each student’s academic performance and attendance. Students not making academic progress and/or exceeding their allocated number of absences may be withdrawn from school. One of the following actions may be taken:
- The student may return Hays or Lehman High Schools or attend another high school.
- The student may pursue other avenues of meeting educational goals such as earning a General Education Diploma (GED).
Attendance Policies: Regular school attendance is essential for the student to make the most of his or her education – to benefit from teacher-lead activities, to build each day’s learning on that of the previous day, and to grow as an individual.
State law requirements [FEA]:
- A student must be in attendance each day of each semester.
- Students must attend school and District required tutorial sessions unless the student is otherwise legally exempted or excused.
- A student will lose credit if excessive absences result in less than 90% attendance for the semester. This includes both excused and unexcused absences.
- Students who do not meet the minimum attendance requirement established by law will be denied credit for the course regardless of the final grade.
- Students must make up all time and work missed in order to receive a grade for the course.
Closed Campus: Live Oak Academy is a closed campus. Students who leave without going through the proper procedures will be considered truant. Students are not to leave campus for the purpose of eating lunch, even with a parent’s written permission.
Procedures for checking out: Students leaving school during the day for medical, dental appointments or other reasons as determined by the parent shall follow this procedure:
- Prior to leaving campus, the student should bring a signed note to the office from the parent/ guardian that includes a date and daytime contact number.
- If returning to school on the same day, report directly to the office, sign in, and receive a pass to return to class.
If a signed note is not provided: a parent MUST come into the office to sign out the student. Procedures for Returning to School after an absence:
- The student must return with a written note from parent or health care professional (if seen) that includes:
- Reason for absence
- Date of the absence
- Parent’s daytime telephone number
- Signature of person giving authorization for the absence
- Students arriving to school after the start of the school day must report to the office. If the student is more than 20 minutes late then they will be considered absent from class.
- Students have five (5) school days after an absence to turn in the note from parents or doctor in order to have the absence excused. After five (5) school days the absence will be considered unexcused.
- A student is considered present due to a documented appointment with a health care professional if that student returns to classes on the same day of the appointment. A note from the health care professional must support the appointment. If a student is tardy due to a doctor’s appointment, a note from the health care professional must support the appointment and the student will check in at the office before going to class. The student will not be considered tardy.
Parents and other visitors are welcome to visit district schools. All visitors must first report to the office. Visits to individual classrooms during instructional time are permitted only with office approval. Visits are not permitted if their duration or frequency interferes with the delivery of instruction or disrupts the normal school environment.
Promptness and attendance directly impact success in school and the real world or work. Students need to be at class on time. Students should view their acceptance to Live Oak Academy as a special privilege. They are expected to attend school every day and be punctual.