Qualification and Registration for the 2021-2022 school year will open on June 1, 2021. Additional information will be posted here when available.
View the requirements for Pre-K qualification documentation
Click here for the Step Into Pre-K flyer (pdf).
Click here to begin the Pre-K qualification/application/registration process.
Early Childhood Programs
When children receive a quality early childhood education, they are better prepared to learn when they enter Kindergarten. Hays CISD is proud to offer Pre-K to eligible children who meet certain criteria.
Hays CISD offers full-day Pre-K at twelve of our elementary campuses. Pre-K is an outstanding way to help your child prepare for kindergarten. If your child lives in any Hays CISD elementary school attendance zone and meets the federal guidelines to qualify for Pre-K, you can enroll your child for free.
Why is Pre-K important?
Pre-K activities build the foundation of academic, social, and emotional skills needed for school success. Students who attend Pre-K are less likely to need to repeat a grade or receive intervention services. And, students who attend Pre-K have higher graduation rates and even higher wages as adults!
Will my child qualify?
To qualify, children must be four years old on or before September 1 and meet one of the following qualifications:
- Be unable to speak and comprehend the English language
- Be economically disadvantaged, which means a student eligible to participate in the national free or reduced-price lunch program link to income guidelines
- Be homeless, as defined by 42 United States Code (U.S.C.) Section 1143a, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child's guardian or other person having lawful control of the child
- Be the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority
- Be the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty
- Be in, or have been in, the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code
- Be the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as a peace officer (3106.002), firefighter (3106.003), or emergency medical first responder (3106.004)
I’m ready to sign up:
If you believe you meet the eligibility requirements for Pre-K, use the link below to begin the process:
>> Qualify for Pre-K Here <<
I'm ready to register:
One you qualify, you will need to present the following items to register for Pre-Kindergarten:
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card (optional)
- Proof of Address (Utility Bill, Lease or Home Closing Papers)
- Immunization Record
- Proof of Income (Pay Stubs, SNAP Eligibility or TANF Benefits Letter)
- Identification of parent or guardian
- Military Orders (if applicable)
- Foster Care Letter (if applicable)
For more information, please email Patty.Santoyo@hayscisd.net