Diabetes Care at School

  • It is important that parents of students with diabetes communicate fully with the school nurse about the student’s needs.  If possible, plan to meet with the nurse prior to the beginning of the school year or before the first day of attendance for students who start later in the school year.

    Hays CISD requires the following forms be signed by the parent/guardian for all students seeking diabetes care while at school

    1. Diabetes Medical Management Plan (DMMP) English / Spanish signed by the student’s physician (may be the HCISD form or similar form from the physician or Diabetes Clinic)

    2. Medication Authorization Forms English / (En Español) for use of insulin, glucagon, glucose tablets/gels, etc.

    3. Authorization for Administration of Diabetes Management and Care Services by Unlicensed Diabetes Care Assistant form English / (En Español). 

      If the student’s parent/guardian chooses not to sign the form, the parent/guardian will be responsible for administration of the diabetes care in the event the school nurse is not available. 

    4. Insulin Pump Physician Orders for students using an insulin pump (may be the HCISD form or similar form from the physician or Diabetes Clinic)

    A student’s parent/guardian is required to provide all necessary supplies/food for the student with diabetes.

Role of the Unlicensed Diabetic Care Assistant (UDCA)

  • House Bill No. 984 (Care of the Student with Diabetes) enacted in 2005, relates to the care of students with diabetes in schools. The bill mandates that principals identify unlicensed personnel to assist with caring for students during the regular school day or while participating in a school activity. Each school with a full time nurse must train at least one (1) unlicensed diabetes care assistant (UDCA). 

    Training of the UDCAs is provided under the supervision of district health services and the campus RN. The UDCAs will provide diabetes management and care services, if the nurse is unavailable. Such services include, but are not limited to, the administration of insulin, or in an emergency, the administration of glucagon.

Self-Carry Considerations

  • A student with diabetes may possess and self-administer prescription diabetes medicine while on school property or at a school-related event or activity if the following conditions are met:

    1. the prescription medicine has been prescribed for that student as indicated by the prescription label on the medicine;
    2. the student has demonstrated to the student's physician or other licensed health care provider and the school nursethe skill level necessary to self-administer the prescription medication, including the use of any device required to administer the medication;
    3. the self-administration is done in compliance with the prescription or written instructions from the student's physician or other licensed health care provider; and
    4. a parent of the student provides to the school a written authorization, signed by the parent and licensed health care provider on the Medication Authorization Form / En Español stating
      • that the student has asthma or anaphylaxis and is capable of self-administering the prescription medicine;
      • the name and purpose of the medicine;
      • the prescribed dosage for the medicine;
      • the times at which or circumstances under which the medicine may be administered; and
      • the period for which the medicine is prescribed.
    5. The physician's statement must be kept on file in the office of the school nurse of the school the student attends or, if there is not a school nurse, in the office of the principal of the school the student attends.

    Please note that a student requiring medication for sports must also register the medication with the school nurse.