1. questions graphic Question: How might I contact my student’s school counselor?
      Answer: If you are unsure about how to contact your student’s counselor, call your school's main office and ask to be connected to the counseling office. In high school, the campus handbook will have a list of counselors, as well as campus websites.
      (The directory of counselors is linked here.)
    2. Question: What are the topics that are commonly addressed in small group counseling sessions?
      Answer: Topics often addressed by school counselors in small groups include: social skills/friendship, organization and study skills, changing families, anger management, self-concept, and school success. Other topics are addressed as deemed appropriate.
    3. Question: I feel as though my student needs to receive individual counseling for an issue occurring in our lives at this time. Can our school counselor provide individual counseling?
      Answer: School counselors do see students on an individual basis from time to time. Due to time constraints, they are not able to see students individually for an extended time. If your school counselor feels, after meeting with your child for two or three sessions, that your child needs further assistance he/she will inform you of further options.
    4. Question: A student is sexually harassing or bullying my son at school. I have told my son to ignore it or tell an adult. He doesn't want to because he is afraid of retaliation from the students.
      Answer: Harassment and bullying threats are not tolerated in Hays CISD. Our district strives to ensure that all students and employees are taken seriously. Every effort is made to protect the due process rights of the victims and all alleged offenders. There are district and state policies in place to protect students at school. This should be promptly reported to the campus principal or any campus professional for an immediate follow up. Research studies indicate that if a bullying or harassment issue is not reported, the actions only get worse by the bully. No student should endure harassment or bullying.
    5. Question: How do I find out how many credits my student needs to graduate from High School?
      Answer: The High School graduation options are listed in the Course Guide. A copy can also be picked up at the high school your student attends. You are also encouraged to meet individually with your school counselor. You may call the campus or view the directory of school counselors.
      (The directory of counselors is linked here.)
    6. Question: How do I find out about when district-wide tests are given, like the STAAR, SAT, ACT and PSAT/NMSQT?
      Answer: The first thing you need to do is contact your student’s teacher(s), counselor or administrator for information. The TAKS information (including the test calendar) can be found on the Assessment page. Information about the PSAT/NMSQT, SAT and ACT can also be located on the Assessment page or for PSAT/NMSQT and SAT at www.collegeboard.com and EXPLORE, PLAN and ACT at www.act.org.
    7. Question: My student needs a schedule change. Who do I contact?
      Answer: Your student needs to contact the Guidance Office at the middle school or high school. There are district guidelines and deadlines set for changing schedules. (The directory of counselors is linked here.)

    8. Question: We want our student to attend college, but we don't think we can afford it. We have heard that there are a lot of scholarships out these that go unclaimed every year. We also got a letter from a counseling company that wants to help us get a lot of scholarships. Help!
      Answer: College is affordable for every student that wants to attend. It may require some sacrifice, loans, and scholarships, but college is the best investment you ever make in your student’s future! Visit www.collegeforalltexans.com or contact the HS College and Career Counselor or high school counselor at your student’s campus to get information. They can give you more information on other links about college searches and costs, scholarships or financial aid. (The directory of school counselors is linked in Question #1.) Companies that market scholarship portfolios for you and charge a fee are usually a scam. Your school counselor can help you for free! Call him/her today for assistance. It is important that your senior also fills out the FAFSA. Contact your counselor for assistance. (The directory of counselors is linked here.) The website for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) is www.fafsa.ed.gov or www.collegeforalltexans.com.
    9. Question: What are the College Readiness Standards and why are they important?
      Answer: College Readiness Standards and the TSI (Texas Success Initiative) - Hays CISD wants to ensure our high school graduates are prepared for the rigor of a post-secondary education. The chart shown below demonstrates minimum assessment scores indicating the readiness of a student to progress to college level work. These standards are set by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to ensure our Texas high school graduates are ready to be successful in college level work (Texas Success Initiative) and not have to enroll in developmental college classes which means that it will take the student longer to finish his/her post secondary education and cost more money. These standard exemptions mean that the students can start on their college courses as soon as they enroll in college. If you have questions about the College Readiness Standards, please contact your school counselor. (The directory of counselors is linked here.)
If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.