Leave and Absences
Full time school district employees receive five (5) state leave days and five (5) local leave days each new school year. Unused state leave days accumulate yearly with no maximum. Unused local leave days can accumulate to a maximum of sixty (60) days.
Half time employees receive two and a half (2½) state leave days and two and a half (2½) local leave days or prorated based on the # of days left in the school year. Unused state leave days accumulate yearly with no maximum. Unused local leave days can accumulate to a maximum of sixty (60) days.
When state or local leave is used as personal leave, the following guidelines are used:
- A written request must be submitted to principal at least three (3) days in advance of absence.
- Personal leave will be granted according to the availability of substitute teachers.
- No more than three (3) consecutive personal days can be taken.
- Except in extreme circumstances, personal leave shall not be approved for:
- First 10 days of school year; last 10 days of school year
- Last 5 days of one semester and the first 5 days of the next semester
- Days preceding or following a school holiday
- First or last day of a grading period (6 weeks)
- Testing days
- Staff development days
For employees beginning after the school year has begun, state leave is prorated to the number of days worked. Please refer to the chart below:
Unused Leave Benefit
When an employee has been with the district for a minimum of five (5) years and moves from the district or retires, the professional employee will receive $50 for each day of state leave days the employee has for which there is an equal number of local days accumulated by the employee. The maximum number of days that can be used is sixty (60).