Science Hall Elementary School History

  • Science Hall Elementary takes its name from a forgotten community that existed from the late 19th century until the 1920s on the east side of what is now IH 35. The area became known as “Science Hall” after Mrs. Willie A. Andrews chose the name Science Hall Academy and the school was built on J.L. and Whit Andrews’ 186 acres of farm land in 1876. Established in 1876 with 30 pupils, Science Hall Academy's first teachers were Mrs. Willie A. Andrews and Professor Pyle.  A few years later, a two-story girls finishing school known as the Science Hall Home Institute was built on the property as well. The community of Science Hall grew to include a post office, cotton gin, general store, blacksmith, churches and school but fell into decline once the railroad was built in 1881. The Science Hall Academy School was closed in the 1920s and the boarding school was torn down after WWII.

    Our Science Hall Elementary School, a Dual Language campus, opened with Dr. Angela Nelson as its principal in 2006.