Degrees and Certifications:
BS Communications, Dallas Baptist University '03 MS Educational Technology Leadership, Texas A&M University-Commerce '16 Google Certified Educator/Trainer/Innovator Adobe Creative Educator Apple Certified Teacher
Mr. Galen Rosenberg
Welcome! I'm Galen Rosenberg, Johnson HS' instructor for Principles of Arts, AV Production, and Graphic Design! I manage Principles of Arts, AV Production 1/2/Practicum, and Graphic Design & Illustration 1/2/Practicum.
My teaching philosophy:
Let's be honest, here. All of the information our kids need to absorb is already out there. Between textbooks, how-to files, apps, and YouTube videos they could almost do it all themselves! It begs the question - is a teacher still necessary? The data (and my humble opinion) say yes and I take on three roles as an educator:
- An Expert: I'm the guy that has specialized training in the tools along with specialized training in how to learn them and can be the resource to get through difficulties.
- A Curator: I'm the guy that can design experiences and set up resouurce material to help kids learn the right things at the right time.
- A Mentor: I'm the guy that has done this before, walked the trail a little, and can ask the right questions at the right time to challenge and encourage our kids to be the best they can along with provide some real-world advice when it is needed.
I'm a firm believer in Design Thinking and try to structure our learning environment (physical, digital, and philosophical) to promote creativity, resilience, and innovation. In simple terms, I try as hard as I can to help students work hard, enjoy making new media, and make learning "not suck". I'm a media freak myself and genuinely enjoy the content we cover! I treat everyone here fairly and in an adult manner - recipricate that and we'll always be good! I ask that everyone in the environment do The Two Things: TRY and CARE.
Cool stuff we do:
- Publication design in magazine and album covers
- Poster design in vision boards and infographics
- Animation with Adobe Animate
- Video Production with Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects
- Logo design with Adobe Illustrator
I'm a Dallas native and newcomer to Hill Country! I've been teaching since 2005 and have covered almost every Arts/AV & Communication course at one point. 2021 marks 18 years of marriage for me. No kids, I just temporarily adopt my classes! :-)> I've tinkered with electronics and media since my time in high school and have been a licensed amateur radio operator since 1998. I'm a HUGE sci-fi geek (Star Wars, Potter, LOTR, love it all) and tend to work that into our schoolwork. I'm also a big foodie and seriously into bbq, smoking meats/unmeats, and home gourmet. Weekends you'll find me either playing with my radio equipment, managing my kitchen's garden and avoiding mowing, and road-tripping around this beautiful part of Texas that we share!
Email is normally the fastest, with Remind messages the next option and then Schoology messages. Phone is hard, I swap rooms multiple times per day and keeping up with 4 voicemail extensions is just no. I'm cool with USING voice to talk to you, just email me first so I'll be able to get near a phone!