General Education Homebound (GEH)

  • FAQsGEH graphic

    Who qualifies?  
    Any general education student who is expected to miss 4 weeks or 20 school days(days need not be consecutive) due to a physician documented medical illness that keeps the student confined to home or hospital bed may qualify for homebound services, pending a 504 committee review.

    Who do I speak to on my child’s campus to discuss GEH services?
    Please contact your child’s Assistant Principal and Counselor to discuss the medical issue.  In most cases, there are academic and medical accommodations that can be made on campus to help the student remain in school.  All on-campus solutions must be tried before homebound is considered as it is the most restrictive learning environment.

    Who has the forms that the doctor must fill out for homebound services to be considered?
    The campus Assistant Principal and/or Counselor has the physician’s form.  

    Does a student have to be absent for a certain number of days before homebound services can start?
    No.  As soon as a student is aware that a medical condition will cause them to not be able to attend school the parents should contact the Assistant Principal, Counselor and/or Nurse.  This includes pending surgeries, cancer treatments, emergency procedures and extended illnesses. There are situations where homebound will not apply, but that will be determined by the 504 committee.

    Does an adult need to be present at all times when a homebound teacher is instructing my child?
    Yes. An adult 21 years or older must be present at all times when a homebound teacher is in the home.  This is for the safety and security of the student and the teacher.

    My child attends an outpatient/treatment facility all day or part of the school day, can my child receive homebound services?
    Homebound services cannot be provided in this situation as the student is not confined to the home or hospital. Per TEA Attendance Accounting policy:

    3.11.28 Example 28 A student enrolled in your district goes to a treatment facility daily to attend a treatment program. The student returns to her home each night. District staff members would like to serve the student through the GEH program. The student is considered absent for funding purposes for those days she attends the treatment program. Because the student is not confined at home or hospital bedside, which is a requirement for GEH program eligibility, the student is not eligible for GEH services. District staff members should work with the student and the student’s parents to develop a plan for the student to meet academic requirements.

    I would like for my child to be seen at another home (such as the grandparent’s home) for homebound instruction.  Is this possible?
    Yes, provided the home is in the Hays CISD attendance zone.